Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chick..I struggled with that question myself..even posted a thread here asking if getting certified was worth the trouble or not. Here's why I decided to go: First, I have only been keeping bees for 4 years, so there is a lot to learn. I have not run up against any brood diseases or problems other than mites, shb and dwv (that should be enough right?). The program has a lot of classes and is put on by folks I consider expert beeks. Second, it's a good chance to network with Georgia beeks. Third..and this is more to your question, my long range plan is to make bees, beekeeping and honey production a larger part of my business. While certification does not replace hard work, a good reputation, and effective marketing it does lend credibility. I have really wrestled with the idea, because by default I dislike certifications, particulairly state sponsered ones. Our farm does not have "organic" certification because I dislike the certification process and how that program is now used. This program is a bit different as the focus seems to be on making better beekeepers and not on regulating how they keep bees. And as far as being able to point to something on the wall...I'll be pointing to it in my marketing material. You may or may not agree that it has value...only time will tell. So to sum it all up I think the certification is good for helping me be a better beek and a better businessman. Oh..and I'm looking foward to entering some Buffalo Lick Honey in the honey show!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts