Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take for newly agitated bees to calm down and forget the disturbance? Lat night, we moved 9 strong colonies from my other apiaries to the newly established apiary, apiary No 5, where there is an abundance of forage, hoping that the bees will make honey before the end of the season (just one month is remaining). This reduced the pressure from the other colonies left behind in the other colonies in terms of finding enough forage.

I visited the apiary this morning and the bees were still furious and attacked us. I wonder why so and how long it will take for them to calm down.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thought initially, Adam. Luckily, I have returned from the apiary and I saw the bees calm and doing normal activities. There was still a shower and may be that is what calmed them.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I'm just curious since you are in Africa. Do you have the AHB there?
Are you using 100% EHB stocks?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just curious since you are in Africa. Do you have the AHB there?
Are you using 100% EHB stocks?
Sorry, but I really do not know about neither AHB nor EHB. Can you please explain what these abbreviations stand for?

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Sultan - you may not be aware that hybridization between African and European honey bees sometimes results in stocks which are dangerously aggresive - at least compared to what we are used to. Thus Africanizes Honey Bees are usually considered as very bad, and are eradicated wherever that is possible.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sultan - you may not be aware that hybridization between African and European honey bees sometimes results in stocks which are dangerously aggresive - at least compared to what we are used to. Thus Africanizes Honey Bees are usually considered as very bad, and are eradicated wherever that is possible.
Thanks David. I do not know about these types since I am new to the beekeeping. I have heard that Africanized honey bees are very dangerous and they are found in the USA but ours are not that much dangerous. I can visit them any time during the day without even wearing the protective suit, but as they are saying in this forum, it depends upon many factors when the bees get aggressive. I have even seen very docile bees here when you can collect honey by your hands without gloves and they do not touch you. Not only that but they land on your face without stinging you. But since I do not know about queen breeding, I just get frustrated because of not being able to produce queens from these colonies.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks David. I do not know about these types since I am new to the beekeeping. I have heard that Africanized honey bees are very dangerous and they are found in the USA but ours are not that much dangerous. I can visit them any time during the day without even wearing the protective suit, but as they are saying in this forum, it depends upon many factors when the bees get aggressive. I have even seen very docile bees here when you can collect honey by your hands without gloves and they do not touch you. Not only that but they land on your face without stinging you. But since I do not know about queen breeding, I just get frustrated because of not being able to produce queens from these colonies.
I am brand new to beekeeping myself. But I had one very good hive I started this year, and I took a frame of eggs and very young larvae from that hive and put it in another with nurse bees and food storage frames but had no queen. They made a queen from those young larvae in about 24 days. You could try something like that. It is very exciting to see a queen you helped the bees create.

If you have a way you can remove young larvae and eggs to a queenless hive, you could make queens from your desired hives and continue those gentle traits.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
There are several different types of honey bees in the different regions of Africa. It sounds like you're area has the more docile variety of bees.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, but they are not that docile. They can come to me in waves to prevent me harvest honey or inspect the hives and can trail me long distances hanging me all over my body.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice advice, SpringGreen!! I will do that in the future. It is a great lesson indeed. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts