Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this when I was cleaning out my dead hives was a first for me . this was on the underside of one of my hive bases
62271
62272
 

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,882 Posts
One of the known drawbacks of using a screened bottom board. I have had it happen on two of my hives also. Save the comb and put it in some frames.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rkereid

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
yep, some times when the hive is requeening the queen tries to get inthew the bottom and cant figger out the entrance, the colony then forms arunf here and builds the brood nest out side of the box
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Never had it happen under a screened bottom. Several years ago, however, I had a stack of boxes on the porch, that I thought had frames in them. One evening, while using the grill that was just a few feet away, I noticed some bees around it. I didn't give it a whole lot of thought, I'm used to bees on the porch investigating equipment that has been taken out of service for painting or storage.

I grill/smoke stuff just about every day, year round. As time went on, it seemed like there were more and more bees around the boxes. Then, one evening I was grilling after the sun went down, and all of a sudden I was noticing by bees flying around the floodlight I have over the grill. 'Huh? Where did they come from?'

I looked at the boxes and saw another one come out of them. Interesting. I put my ear against the stack and tapped gently...sure enough, there was a hum just like when you do it to a full hive. 'Must have picked up a swarm.'

They weren't bothering me much, so I left them for a while. Then there came a day when I decided I needed to check on them...I tried to lift the top box...nope, not budging...none of the four boxes would move, I tried twisting them one way, then the other. No luck.

Well, I had to get in there, I tried to loosen them up with a hive tool but didn't get far so I got a bigger carpentry tool and a crow-bar. Eventually, I got the boxes apart. It was a big mess, honey everywhere, they'd built combs right down through and all the combs ended up broken off and laying at the bottom of the stack.

I figured they were goners, but just for giggles I left two frameless boxes full of brood and stores jumbled at the bottom and stuck three boxes with frames over the top of them with a proper inner and outer cover. About 6 weeks later I opened them up- the comb at the bottom was empty and dry, they'd moved into the frames above and were booming.

I left them alone for the Winter and in the Spring I supered them. They were my most productive hive that year, giving me nearly 200lbs of honey.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top