Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb question: I haven't really noticed this before, but my hives, which are two months old, each have funny smell, not a bad smell… sort of reminds me of a winery, sort of ferment like smell, but not sure. Hives are flourishing otherwise, and I'm about to add supers. Any thoughts what the smell means? I have heard it might mean that they are about to swarm… which sort of freaks me out because I need to add supers today, and maybe that's why… they are about 80-90% built up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I remember smelling that the first time, last year. Like you, I thought that there might be a problem. In my case, it was an abundance of bee bread. Bees ferment pollen to make it, and sometimes the smell can be a cross between a brewery and baking bread.

I'd still recommend taking a closer look into the hive, just in case there is something other than bee bread causing the odor.

ETA: You would be looking to see if there is still room for the queen to lay, or for SHB larvae. It is also possible that a nectar source is responsible for the odor, that's not a problem.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I wouldn't freak out, but any smell is worth investigating. I may be the kind of nectar, or it may be Small Hive Beetles or it may be nothing in particular except you noticing it when it's been there all along...

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I noticed it strongly a few days after a sideways rain and found a little standing water in the back of my hive, apparently my hive stand settled to the rear. I tipped the water out the front and propped the top for some ventilation and it has went away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts