Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to splitting hives, this is the first year I have split any.

On all three of the walk away splits I have done the past few months, I noticed that after the queen mates, she will lay a dozen or so eggs, then stop for a few days, then start laying like crazy.

Is this something specific to my hives? Or has anyone else noticed it before?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Yes, I have seen this happened quite often for this year with my queens. I think it is
the weather pattern and the amount of resources available that is affecting them.
Once they had assessed the situation then they feel free to lay. Have you been feeding
them in this drought? I have been feeding them patty and honey syrup together with what's
coming in like borage and pumpkin pollen. They are doing well and expanding now.
The queen lay all the way to the bottom of the comb with new eggs. They're taking a qt of
honey syrup a day while raising the broods. Not sure if others have experienced this also.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are laying well, usually will fill up 2-3 frames with brood after the initial delay.

I fed two of the splits to let them build comb faster, they won't take sugar water anymore, the third was very strong so I didn't bother. I have a pool so they drink from that if they need water. I have a piece of foam floating in the pool which gives them a landing pad so it seems like they don't drown as often.

I did two other splits from purchased queens a few days ago, one queen didn't make it, the other queen is laying like crazy after 3 days.

It's not as hot over here, nor is the drought as bad, so the bees aren't in as bad shape this year as they are over in your area. I'm up in Tahoe a lot and some of the reservoirs are bone dry, very scary situation.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It is fairly common for brood pattern to be "iffy" for a few weeks after mating. Stronger patterns often occur with larger nuc's, like with 4 or more frames of bees. I wait at least 2 weeks before trying to judge a new queen's laying pattern, and give her a full month before giving up on her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts