Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually beatiful, she came with a swarm that landed in my yard about a week ago.
I thought one of my Nuc's swarmed, now that I've got a look at her I doubt it.

Swarm Queen

image.jpg

Shame she's going to get pinched.

This is what the average Queen in this yard looks like.

image.jpg

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
I don't think the carni mutt will mix too well with the cordovan.
Where can I get some of those Cordovan queens? And are they the
lighter or dark eyes Cordo queens?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No she wasn't marked, I was going thru marking newly returned queens. The recommended Florida Best Management Practices is to requeen all swarms. I'm not interested in queens from an unknown source.

As a production queen my guess is she would work as well as anything.

Light eyes or dark eyes? I have varying degrees but most show a brownish hue where other bees are black.
Same Queen before marking.

image.jpg

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
She is of unknown origin in a State which has AHB, so the State recommendation is to requeen swarms of unknown origin, just in case. Seems wise to me.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Africanized colonies found here in NY were put down just a couple weeks ago. Nucs that came up from FL were found to be highly aggressive and unworkable after being installed into full size hives.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's amazing how hard she was to find, my eyes are not at all used to finding such a dark queen. I have standard Italian queens but nothing this dark.
I marked her just for fun and so she's easy too find. I'll pinch her as I pull my other mated queen once my cells are ready to place.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/24007/486792/bmp_ehb.doc

I'm sure some will not agree but it fits my goals.

A Queen of unknown origin has no value to me. She is taking up space that I could use to raise queens to sell or assess for drone stock etc. I don't believe that the holy grail of feral (not sure I believe in ferals) genetics will chose my yard to land in or I'd recognize them if they did.

Survivor stock comes from queens that avoid my hive tool:)

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I don't think the carni mutt will mix too well with the cordovan.
Queens don't mate with each other.

I wonder why a business person wouldn't sell what he doesn't want instead of killing what he doesn't want?

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,124 Posts
It's amazing how hard she was to find, my eyes are not at all used to finding such a dark queen. I have standard Italian queens but nothing this dark.
I marked her just for fun and so she's easy too find. I'll pinch her as I pull my other mated queen once my cells are ready to place.
Try finding these ladies (a couple of ours):

swarmqueen2.jpg

swarmqueen1.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Queens don't mate with each other.

I wonder why a business person wouldn't sell what he doesn't want instead of killing what he doesn't want?
Imagine selling a queen of unknown origin in a state where they specifically tell you to kill swarm queens and re queen . If it turns out AHB and hurts someone or something I would think there might be liability or at least a guilty conscience

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Well, Brian, I don't know if that was why someone shipped what appeared to be AHB nucs to NY or not, but knowing that someone did, would you buy nucs from that person if you knew who they were? They should have known what they were shipping.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Imagine selling a queen of unknown origin in a state where they specifically tell you to kill swarm queens and re queen . If it turns out AHB and hurts someone or something I would think there might be liability or at least a guilty conscience
Wah, wah, wah, stop being a baby. There is nothing wrong with selling something to someone if you are honest about what you are selling. Just because a queen is dark doesn't mean it will exhibit AFB characteristics. Some people buy rattle snakes and some people kill rattle snakes.
Come to think of it maybe a couple of killer bee hives is what I need to take care of the $hIt heads that trespass on our land and think they own it. I got a suit, I am sure they don't.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Ha ha ace, one of the local guys here got an AHB queen on accident and he loved her for that very reason, but the inspector said no and snuffed the hive

1 - 20 of 70 Posts