Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone provide me with the amount per gallon? I lost the directions on a small bottle I purchased.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
230 Posts
FUMAGILLIN Application
Brand name available: Fumagilin-B®
Active ingredient: “Fumagillin” (Bicyclohexylammonium fumagillin)

Fumagillin is available in a variety of container sizes, depending on the brand name; therefore always follow the product’s label recommendations. As a general guideline, 1.0 g of fumagillin will provide enough antibiotic for treatment of approximately 10 spring package colonies or 5 wintered colonies. Refer to product labels for instructions on specific product use.
Important: Medicated syrup is best prepared at a concentration of 25 mg Fumagillin base per liter of syrup, usually a 2:1 syrup (two parts of sugar to one part of water). The water may be warm (20-50oC).

Fumagillin Preparation by Bottle Size Will Provide One Treatment For
Mix 0.5 g (small bottle) in 20 L of syrup 6 spring packages or 3 wintered colonies
Mix 2.0 g (medium bottle) in 80 L of syrup 21 spring packages or 11 wintered colonies
Mix 9.5 g (large bottle) in 380 L of syrup 100 spring packages or 50 wintered colonies

·
Registered
224 Posts
My 24 gm bottle (0.5 gm of fumigillin base) has the following directions: "This jar... is sufficient to prepare 20 litersof medicated syrup..."

So- 24/20 = 1.2 gm of fumigilin (final product, not base) to prepare 1 liter
1 liter is about 0.264 gallons
1.2 gm/0.264 gal = x gm/1 gal
cross multiply and I get 4.54 gm/gal

Check my math: 20 liters = 5.28 gallons
5.28 x 4.54 = 23.9712
Close enough to 24 for me- I will go with 4.5 gm fumigillin for 1 gal of syrup. Guess I will measure it out on my kitchen scale.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
5 g = 1 rounded teaspoon. Add that to a gallon of syrup. But dissolve it in a small amount of water first. Do not add to hot syrup-it inactivates the fumagilin.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the same strength bottle. Let me final check my math to create 25mg per liter solution

Recpie:

A 25lbs of sugar with 25lbs of hot tap water (~12liters - I use a 2L pop bottle and put in just under 12L). Mix in a 6gal bucket and it makes ~5 gal of 1:1.

Mix 5rounded teaspoons or fumagilin-B in about two cups of room temp water stirring well, and then stir thatt into the syrup mix (after it cools a bit).

Each double chamber hive gets about 1 gal of this stuff in the spring, and 2 gal in the fall.

That sound right?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I go with loggermike, and use 1 rounded teaspoon to a gallon of warm syrup. That's also indicated in the written instructions that come with the product.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have the Medivet sheet in front of me , and its the same as Ernie posted earlier.
As for a drench, for many years I have sprayed our bulk bees down with a garden pump sprayer ,using a thin enough syrup to go through the sprayer, at the normal 'tsp per gallon of fumagilin' rate. Thats when installing. Then a gallon of fumigilin syrup is a good idea.
Here a quick and dirty way to do a lot of hives:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/loggermike/000_1536.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts