Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to do my first honey harvest in the morning. Getting everything set up this afternoon - opened the box with the fume board and it is for a 10 frame super. I use 8 frame supers. How critical is the size - does it have to seal up completely? any suggestions about how to close gap? I should've checked sooner, but now it's too late to return for correct size.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
not that critical, we usually lay the fume board on "****eyed" leaving and gap on the corners for a few minutes. Then rotate the board completely covering the top of the super. What you have should work just fine. Now if you had an 8frame fume board and 10 frame supers might be a little different. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I know I am over-worrying about this first harvest, and you have given me some much needed peace of mind. I think once I do one harvest, I'll be a little less stressed. Hope so anyway! Thanks again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would think you should be able to staple a piece of cardboard along one side reducing it's 'opening' from ten frame to eight frame and just letting it overhang on the cardboarded end.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
All you need is a cotton towel the same size as your box. You said you were taking honey off in the morning-The repellant will work better when it is warmer and the sun is higher. If it is cool and cloudy you will need to smoke under the fume board to get the bees out better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts