Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10-frame observation hive- 2 deep frames wide, 5 high, frames are held in separate wood/glass receivers. The narrow end of the hive opens, and I can take the sections out that way.

This works pretty well- the whole thing is often too heavy for one person to move outdoors, so I slide metal pieces into the stack to cover top and bottom of a section and take off the sections top-down. Usually of course I just need to pull one section to free up room for "supering". It's fun when I get to store away 6 or 8 frames of honey to feed back to them over the winter.

I have Carni's in it this year and I have lots (lots!) of brood, and full hives that could use that brood- I've been pilfering the observation hive as a result.

My method works pretty well, but working with the brood frames I do end up with orphaned nurse bees outdoors, sometimes a fair number, plus often a pretty impressive number of bees flying once I kick them off the comb.
They aren't usually upset, but it usually takes quite a while for them all to settle down back in the hive- some are lost, sometimes there is brood pheromone distracting them , or something.

I have not messed with fume boards on my Langstroth hives. How does this vapor behave? I'm wondering if I could drive the bees down from the topmost one or two sections, pull those out with much fewer affected bees.

It could be a big mess if the vapor is super dense and affects more of the hive than that, or if the effects persist for a very long time.

I did get some BeeQuick..... then I thought I should ask first.

Thoughts/ experiences welcome!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just give the frame a hard shake in front of the host hive and they will march right in. Not nessary to get them back in parent hive. Make sure you don't move the queen. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Use as little of the bee-quick as needed to move the bees down. If the bees start running out the entrance to much then don't cover the whole top of the hive with the fume board.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
take a whiff of it yourself first and decide if you want that smell in your house, assuming your OB is indoors like most. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
After a few hours the smell will have disipated unless you are soaking the top bars with it.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
819 Posts
Mike you must have read my mind, I would not want that in the house for sure.

Beequick does not smell as bad a s bee-go though, at least to me, but they still stink to high heavens.

G3

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
A little bit of bee-go or beequick in your smoker will drive the bees down when you blow smoke between the frames from the top of the hive. Smoke by itself will work also but not as good or quick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi all-

Thank you for the replies. I tried this today, it worked a treat. I had 1/20th the number of loose bees flying after kicking them off of the frames and no sad, lost nurse bees.

I was worried about the quite small volume in a 2 frame wide obs. hive and the repellent having more of an effect upon the bees than I wanted. The observation hive lives in an enclosed back porch on the house, but even so: for me at least the Bee-Quick had no noticable impact on the livability of the porch or the actual house. For me at least the Bee-Quick isn't horrible, although normally I am annoyed by odor others do not find troublesome.

I put the Bee-Quick on paper towels I had rolled to about 1/2 inch and taped in the middle of one of my metal shims/ dividers/ whatever you wish to call it.

Bees were driven down the outside of the 2 frames (the glass side) rather readily. For whatever reason (some little burr comb blocking air flow perhaps) the bees between the frames seems to mainly stay in place.

A big goal tho- I did clear a large number of bees from the section that I wished to work with, it made it much easier to be sure I did not remove or hurt the queen, and I pulled 2 solid frames of capped brood from an obs. hive that is already darn full and made space for nectar/ honey.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Beequick needs to have the sun shining on the fume board and the air temp hot to work good. It also doesn't work very good to drive bees off of brood. Bee-go or honey robber is the way to go. It may stink more but it works much better and will drive bees off brood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts