Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full supers but not much capped - getting high and heavy

The wisdom of my first year of beekeeping told myself that I should build a hive stand high enough so that I am not bending over so far for those first and second deeps. The wisdom of my 2nd year told myself as the nectar flow is on and has been on hard, "ya knucklehead!!". Wrestling that 2nd medium full of honey, propolized to the first super is hard. And now this...

I have 2 mediums full of honey on top of two deeps and the bees are not capping much of the honey yet. If I put a 3rd medium on, it's going to take a ladder to work it once it's full. I may have just answered my own question but any other ideas until those lower supers get capped?

·
Registered
51 Posts
take it down however seems best, get a buddy and lay whole thing on it's back? Put bottom board nearer the ground. rebuild and add what you want where you want it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Since I am not a big proponent of pulling down hives once the supers are on. (not saying you cannot) When ready to pull the supers, I would back my truck up to the hive and work off the tailgate. Don't have a truck? Find a buddy who dose. You probably know someone who has that truck that would allow you to pull a 10 super high hive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Alas i do believe i will have the same issue this year, i have 18" high hive stand, with 4 deep production colonies. argh

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I added my second "deep", I realized that my hive was way too high and anything more than a 1 medium super was going to be an issue so I dropped the hive down to the height of concrete block high. Put my first medium super on last week and it looks like this will be a good height for me to add a couple more and still be able to work with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am an old duffee that used to be able to lift full supers. Now I can't so I work the hives one frame at a time. Takes a little longer but sure makes it easier for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts