Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A larger cement pad would be great,
but this location has only about 10 percent of the beetles my other nearby locations have, even after 2 years.
Just saying.
I am sure, they can migrate a few feet to do their thing in the earth, but I am convinced, a cement pad, full sun, makes a significant difference.

View attachment 9281

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I was wondering if that would help. One source I've seen says the SHB larvae can't move more than "a few" feet from the hive, but some here say they can move hundreds. But even if they can move, crossing exposed hard dry concrete must be challenging. Your climate may help, and I would expect the appetites of local predators such as ants and birds would as well. Have you had a chance to watch what happens to larvae that try to make the trip?

I could easily try this on my little fenced apiary. I just might.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use tin roofing under my hives. It also keeps weeds and grass away from the boxes. I had a pile of metal roofing taken off a barn.
Charlie

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Cement helps two ways -- larvae must crawl over it to get to the ground to pupate, so will roast in hot sunny weather, and since they must go over an edge if they do survive the trip, the ants know where to find them.

The full sun helps a great deal because the SHB cannot tolerate as much heat as bees, and since the bees herd them into the space between the ends of the frame and the rabbet, sunlight there will cook them in place. Beetles herded to other outer areas of the hive will also die off faster while the extra warmth is easily tolerated by the bees, and it's cooler farther in anyway.

The only problem with the location of my hives right now is lack of full sun, they are partially shaded but I don't want to put them anywhere else on the property -- at any other location they would be too close to the road, the neighbors, or the neighbor's penned dog and I like all my neighbors.

I did notice a huge number of dead SHB on the sticky board this winter -- seems they don't like the cold very well either.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts