Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives that are pretty full. They have 10 deep frames full of brood they are starting to back fill. There's 10 more getting filled with honey.

I was going to take 2 brood frames from each hive to give the queen space for eggs. If I take 2 honey frames that are not all the way full will they be OK to use? I don't have drawn comb to use.

There's a couple of frames that will soon have all the brood hatched out. Will all of that space get filled with honey? I'm adding supers the day after tomorrow. It looks like the flow is on here.

I guess I'll have to go back weekly to keep checking on the brood space.

I want these hives for honey production.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you are wanting the hives for honey production then you have but one real decision to make. Put another brood chamber on now or wait. If you wait and they back fill too much into the brood chamber it will cause your hives to swarm. If you decide to put another brood chamber on now, make sure you checkerboard it with your current brood chamber to get the bees to recognize that they have more space. Getting more bees means larger work force and more honey production.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Sounds to me like swarming may be an issue shortly if what you say is happening is happening. Are you using an excluder between two deeps, one a brood chamber and one a honey super? Or do you just have a total of 20 deep frames in the hive with 10 containing brood and 10 containing honey and no excluder? What were you planning to do with the brood frames you remove? If you give them a couple honey frames that already have lots of honey in them, its not going to help much with giving the queen more room. What they need is empty drawn comb, which you said you don't have, or frames of foundation, or foundationless frames to give them something to draw out and for the queen to lay in asap. If you have a couple frames that have brood about to emerge, that certainly might help, although they could just backfill them with nectar too at this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts