Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been at my current location since November 1999, almost eleven years, now. I remember that for the first ten years our Mesquite honey flow would begin on the fifteenth of April, give or take a day or two. That happened despite difficult circumstances; during the first three years we had absolutely no rain within ten miles of our location. There was at least one other multi-year period without rain, but the Mesquite honey flow proceeded despite the lack of rain.

Beginning about December 2009 we began to have an unusual amount of Winter rain. Except for a few days of warmer temperatures, it has also been much cooler than normal, even now our daytime highs are in the 70s and 80s F, when usually they would be in the 90s to 100s F.

The Mesquite honey flow I became accustomed to, here in this area, is normally both an intense and extended honey flow. I feel privileged to have such an exceptional honey flow.

But, this season, probably due to our recent atypical weather the Mesquite honey flow did not begin the fifteenth of April. Recently there is evidence that it has begun, just not as intense as it usually is.

I did the honey flow test, I poured five pounds of dry sugar in a plastic kitchen bowl, then added enough hot water to wet the dry sugar, but not enough to dissolve it. I left the bowl on a stack of empty retired supers that sits immediately adjacent to my apiary -- not a single bee was interested in the bowl of wet sugar, that is how I know the flow is on. The other evidence, where the hives are quickly filling with brood, bees, nectar, pollen, and honey -- it's just not happening yet, distinctly different from other years.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
weird year here in FL also, orange bloom was late, cold winter held up the bees building, flow was not what I expected.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Funny, I was just talking to my dad last night about mesquite as a nectar source. Which he is very familiar with. He was telling me that mesquite, as you know, makes great honey. But that mesquite is problematic as a nectar source because it is inconsistent. When the weather is DRYER, it produces MORE nectar. When the weather is WETTER, it produces LESS nectar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts