Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The June Bee Culture has a letter from a beekeeper who installed a frosted plexiglass cover on his hive. He claimed the light caused the SHBs to abandon the hive. It sounds interesting. The initial downside I thought of was sunlight causing the hive temperature to rise. Interesting though.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I was at a talk on SHB given by an extension agent(I think) from Florida a few years back. He said that direct sunlight would clear the beetles from a stack of medium boxes 3 high.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What are the effects on the hive if any? Is there a tint of glass that would allow light in, but not increase the temperature inside the hive?

Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was wondering if something could be rigged up over the hive that would cause shade on the plexi glass, but allow light in. What if it could be arranged where the early morning sun would shine on the glass, but later be shaded? I am not clear on how long the sun has to shine on the plexi glass to make this work.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
In the article I read, a piece of translucent white plexiglass was used. You could shim the plexi for ventilation.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What about the bees? How do they react to the the light? Less productive, more productive or do they even care? I imagine the temperature could be controlled like you said with some ventilation or some shade. But I wonder if there are any negative effects on our buddies? If not, it sounds like a great preventive measure to those darn beetles!

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts