Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-31F here in sunny Great Falls Mt this morning. The forecast is for moderating temperatures starting Monday. Since I plan on putting on pollen patties Monday I hope so. Due to snow depth I don't even know if I can get to my bees yet. Hope everyone is getting prepared for the oncoming season. I know it has started for many of you in the warm country and those chasing almonds.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Vance, have you checked your forecast?

What makes you feel so confident that spring will start soon?

·
Registered
2021 17 hives
363 Posts
March 21 is the first official day of spring. I often see the next season start 2 weeks before that time. Of course I'm not living in North Dakota or even Canada.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went outside and enjoyed some sunshine for you. I even walked over to my hives and named a drone Vance in your -31F memory.
I am truely touched by your kind gesture! I won't see a new year drone until second half of April.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vance, have you checked your forecast?

What makes you feel so confident that spring will start soon?
I start feeding patties the middle of February every year. It takes a week to ten days for the bees to really start demolishing them and then I do not let them run out until whatever time in May I see half frames of natural pollen surrounding my brood frames. I want my bees really rolling at the beginning of swarm season and our fruit and dandelion flow. That starts about the last week of April or the first week of May. My hives have insulated wraps which changes the equation on timing too and my bees had flying days two weeks ago so I have no large concerns on starting a poop festival in the hive.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
March 21 is the first official day of spring. I often see the next season start 2 weeks before that time. Of course I'm not living in North Dakota or even Canada.
I am not living in Canada or North Dakota right now either. I grew up and started learning to keep bees a mile and a half below the Canadian line IN North Dakota. I am in warmer central Montana! But I learned most of my wintering technique from Canadian Beeks. We short season people need to cheat the seasons as much as we can.

·
Registered
714 Posts
But I learned most of my wintering technique from Canadian Beeks. We short season people need to cheat the seasons as much as we can.
And I have learned much of my wintering techniques from reading your threads even though my climate isn't nearly as harsh.

I found a flock of Robins in the yard this past week. They are way too early and I hope they can find enough berries. They were stripping them off my neighbor's tree. Either they are confused or they know something that the weatherman doesn't.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ocassionally a robin winters here in the frozen north. They can survive the cold if they find a reliable food source. Much like our bees when it is -28 like it is here tonight. I am sick of this cold stretch and two weeks ago I was digging post holes by hand in ground that never froze all winter! In a week it is supposed to be above freezing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.