Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My backyard hives are 4 mediums .

One I split today without checking anything. Something I've never done before. I put the first and third boxes on the bottom, put a queen excluder, then a honey super, over that I put a double screen then boxes 2 and 4.

A blind split I guess you'd call it.

In a week I will check to see where the queen is and will likely cut out the cells in the other half, then give them a frame of eggs from my other hive.

This other hive has a unique style that I like.
They winter with a cluster that is a little smaller than usual. In early spring they look sluggish until I reverse the hive bodies. Then the queen goes to town and they are booming in late May and June, just in time for the Linden trees.

She's got brood in all 4 mediums now.

Now i gotta check the outyards.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Colobee, Did you get a chance to see if you have any "live ones" during one of your Spring/Summer days?
Steve, Yeah, they all made it so far. Been monitoring warm day entrance activity all winter. Hives are still heavy. Populations are ramping up. Will be checking for queen cells around this coming weekend, when it is forecast to hit the 70's.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Colobee,

Sounds good to me. I'm 7 for 7 on 10F Langs but lost 3 for 3 5/5/5 NUC's due to YJ predation. Did food supply check ~ every 14 days throughout the winter. Happy with the results.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
As expected, one of my hives swarmed yesterday. I lost track of it in the trees, so I wasn't able to recover it. dang!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
well you needed to make some replacements any way , cut out (wax foundation) or cage (plastic foundation) the high quality swarm cells and use them
just shot a video on this today.. I got some extra push in cages if you need a hand (read as "please get me out of the house")
https://www.facebook.com/FRQueens/videos/232956624437369/

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Warning: RANT/vent. Ignore at your pleasure!

I just tried to order some fresh Buckfast Queens from Ferguson's in Ontario. Bill said there were import/export issues coming from the US side and he wasn't sure yet if he would be able to send any queens to the US this year. The US side is pointing the finger back the other way. 'Seems they aren't letting queens across, and it has little if anything to do with the recent CV border restrictions.

Apparently the US side has reason to believe that the Canadians aren't being diligent enough at enforcing/controlling the import of banned country foreign queens into Canada. The US rep I spoke to said they were specifically concerned about queens from both Australia & South American, although there may be others.

In short: questionable/banned queens are apparently getting into Canada, and the US is concerned about the spread of both disease and AHB, across Canada, and then into the US.

The US rep informed me that it is unlikely the situation will be resolved this season. The Covid mess is unlikely to do anything but slow the bureaucracy.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Warning: RANT/vent. Ignore at your pleasure!

I just tried to order some fresh Buckfast Queens from Ferguson's in Ontario. Bill said there were import/export issues coming from the US side and he wasn't sure yet if he would be able to send any queens to the US this year. The US side is pointing the finger back the other way. 'Seems they aren't letting queens across, and it has little if anything to do with the recent CV border restrictions.

Apparently the US side has reason to believe that the Canadians aren't being diligent enough at enforcing/controlling the import of banned country foreign queens into Canada. The US rep I spoke to said they were specifically concerned about queens from both Australia & South American, although there may be others.

In short: questionable/banned queens are apparently getting into Canada, and the US is concerned about the spread of both disease and AHB, across Canada, and then into the US.

The US rep informed me that it is unlikely the situation will be resolved this season. The Covid mess is unlikely to do anything but slow the bureaucracy.
Man I would be real careful importing from Canada. Canada imports from New Zealand and Australia.
They have a new mite there, worst than the Varroa.
Odd in the whole USA you cannot find a queen source?

GG

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm a huge Buckfast fan. No Auzzy or NZ's. As I tried to say above, (US rep says) Auzzy imports into Canada are not OK, but happening anyway (same with So Americans).

I gave up on US Buckfast sources about 5 years ago, due to (very) probable AHB contamination (docile bees suddenly going insanely HOT) .

Having run both, IMO, Canadian Buckfast are superior to US Buckfast anyway. But then, I only have 40 years of Buckfast experience, so it may be anomalous, or I may be just plain wrong.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Have you thought about reaching out to the Miksa's?
IIRR at one point they were shiping Can Buckfast cells (I could be wrong)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm a huge Buckfast fan. No Auzzy or NZ's. As I tried to say above, (US rep says) Auzzy imports into Canada are not OK, but happening anyway (same with So Americans).

I gave up on US Buckfast sources about 5 years ago, due to (very) probable AHB contamination (docile bees suddenly going insanely HOT) .

Having run both, IMO, Canadian Buckfast are superior to US Buckfast anyway. But then, I only have 40 years of Buckfast experience, so it may be anomalous, or I may be just plain wrong.
Hmm if the US buckfast is junk , then there is a bussiness opportunity here.
I also looked into , Buckfast from Canada, Seems if you made an appointment, hand carried them to custumes. HAD AN appointment, the bee dudes are not there every day. It was doable. Maybe go over and get 50 of the "Good" BF queens and start a program in Colo.

Let me know if you go, you need to drive right by me, I will add 10 more to your order :)

Easy 1 week project, 2 days there 2 days back. Take a buddy and drive straight thru....

GG

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A week before "peak swarm" around here, and not a (Buckfast) queen cell to be found. Was kinda hoping for at least a couple... dang "low swarming" tendency ;).

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
make some grafts?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will all work out, but thanks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Low 30's last night. At least the fruit trees haven't blossomed around here. Dandy's have been out for over a week.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
WOW what a wind, hives rolled over all across the Denver metro

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
WOW what a wind, hives rolled over all across the Denver metro
Any pictures, that sounds bad.

I dont think there was any damage from wind up here, but we did get hail. I dont think it damaged anything to bad, but I will check tomorrow.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts