Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I saw a front excluder somewhere recently. Helps keep newly found swarms in. Anyone have a link to one of these? I've searched but can't find them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
just use a standard excluder under the bottom box - between the hive body and bottem - that seems to work great and is one less part you have buy and look for later - i have a pile of excluders so i know where they are at

but i have seen the part you are looking for - but cant find it either but you can make them from a old excluder just cut down and given a wooden rim

·
Registered
453 Posts
Look for one of Hambone's recent swarm posts. It was his swarm nuc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hambone thanks again for posting those before!! I already modified my hives that are awaiting swarms with those. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hambone, not sure what I am looking at. Can you explain the 2nd pic.
Thanks

Is that a rack for smoking bacon?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Is that a rack for smoking bacon?
Now I know what I am going to do with my other excluders. :D

The 2nd pic looks a little different because it does not have a landing board. It's just a medium with a flush bottom board. It's all I had that day when I was in a hurry.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Yes, Brushy has them alright. It is a piece of a metal queen excluder stapled to a wooden frame, it will only fit Bottom Boards made by Brushy, otherwise you'll have to cut out a notch to fit other boards ( it happened to me :doh: ).
Save yourself some money and cut your worse queen excluder if you do not want to use it the traditional way as explained above, which involves disturbing your girls.

BB

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I have a bunch of excluders cut to size for swarm traps. We use plastic excluders and just cut them to fit the width of the entrance. The plastic cuts easily with tin snips or aviation snips, or even a utility knife. I make them tall enough to staple them to the front of the hive (2" +/-) and we also can staple a screen over the excluder to move the traps. Obviously, don't put them on until after the swarm is in the box or the queen can't get in, LOL. I usually staple them temporarily to the side or lid so they're there when I need them. You can get a multitude of swarm trap excluders out of one full size plastic excluder. It's also a good idea to use one when you move the swarm into a permanent box, and leave it on for a week or two until the swarm decides to stay.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Would this front or entrance excluder stop a hive from swarming when you don't want it to? I'm assuming if you could contain the queen the rest might stay?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
It's doubtful if it would stop a swarm; the queen is slimmed down for flying before the swarm leaves. I use them only on newly caught swarms because they have a tendency sometimes to use the trap for a Motel 6, and leave the next day! I've had them leave even with the excluder on the entrance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts