Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I have overwintered 5 frame nucs. Usually my splits are in the spring.
For you that have overwintered nucs, especially folks in the middle Ga, Al and Miss regions....when do you move them from the nuc into a full body?
I don't want to move them too soon and have them struggle to keep warm in the cool nights. But I do want to do it asap, to get them cranking for spring/summer flow.
Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I moved 5 five frame nucs (2 boxes high- 10 frames total) into 10 frame equipment today. If there are enough bees to be viable on 5 frames they will be ok on 10 frames. The cluster doesn't heat the inside of the box. 99% of the heat generated by the bees stays in the cluster. Pollen is coming in now. Red maples will be blooming in 10 days or so. Now is the time to boost hive strength through syrup and pollen sub feeding. By starting now you may be able to build up enough to do a split and make excess honey with both halves this year. When you see capped drone brood watch for swarm cells.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Another management thought for your nucs. You need to make sure there is empty comb for the queen to lay in. If the nuc is weaker(3-4 frames in a 5 frame nuc)) but most combs are filled with nectar/syrup/honey you need to open up the brood nest so the queen has enough room to lay so the population can expand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts