Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to beekeeping and in the process of moving from England to Nottoway County, VA. My wife and I have been living overseas for a number of years and are in the process of 'coming home.' We are both excited and nervous at the same time.

I have started learning about beekeeping by taking a course here in England. I'm learning a lot and am looking forward to applying my training in the field. As I begin this venture, it would be helpful to find someone who is knowledgeable about what apiary equipment is 'common' between the two countries. I don't want to buy and then ship too much equipment from here if it is off-standard in the US.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

--Jeb

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Welcome, hive equipment is not absolutely standard within the United States. Langstroth hives are standard around the world if the quality is good. Supers are 19 3/4 to 20 by 16 1/4. deeps are 9 5/8 tall, mediums (Illinois) are 6 5/8 tall, there is more variation in shallows 5 3/4 to 5 7/8 tall, bottom boards are 22 by 16 1/4. I do not think you will save a pence buying in England. Most of these supliers have online catalogs so you can see what is here.
http://americasbeekeeper.com/Beekeeping_supplies.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts