Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can honey be frozen for long term storage? Will it affect the quality or promote granulation?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes it can be frozen for long time storage. It will not affect quality. If it is frozen while still liquid the freezing will lessen the chance of granulation. That's why comb honey should be frozen for storage (and kill wax moth eggs).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why not just keep it in a jar or bucket or barrel? Freezing is not necessary to preserve it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not have any place to store it except in a hobby room that stays about 85 degrees during the summer. I just worry it being so warm that it will accelerate spoilage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Last year I froze alot of my smaller jars and alot of them crystallized. Had to put them out in the sun for a few to sell them liquified. I can't say that freezing prevents crystalizing.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Freezing will not "lessen the chance of granulation". I will slow the process down, but it won't affect whether it will granulate or not. The prime temperature at which honey granulates is 55 degrees. Aything above or below that temperature slows the process, but doesn't keep it from happening.

Store it in your freezer. It will not harm anything.

Comb honey should be stored or put in a freezer for a time to kill wax moth larvae. That is true and correct.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe not spoil, but will prolonged high temperature storage affect the flavor and/or color?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
You can't store comb honey in that much heat w/out first destroying the comb, ie melting it. If you are going to keep your honey in comb form, I would be more worried, in TX, about melting combs than I would about discoloration. 160 degrees plus will burn and discolor honey. Don't store it above 140 for long periods of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts