Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large pot of boiling water ready to dip these wooden frames. I cut the wax foundation and honey off of the frames and intend to install plastic foundation after the dip or sanitizing process. Will boiling water do it or should I add chlorine bleach? All replies and advise welcome.
Thanks
Clark

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind. I searched on this site and there is plenty of advice/controversy regarding sanitizing frames.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
Sanitise from what, mould? If so a weak bleach solution will work.

Probably too late, but you did not need to destroy the combs, if you put them back in a hive in such a way the bees will consume the honey they will also clean up the comb.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
What kind of mold is it? Maybe it is good for you. Have you ever seen cheese aged?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I am wondering about the "moldy honey" - my bees don't use refridgeration in their hives and the honey stays fine for months . . . ?

Is something else going on? Wax moths perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
11,224 Posts
If the freezer fails, but you don't notice it right away, I suspect mold will eventually be present on everything in that freezer.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
shinbone, I would imagine that in a closed container, a frozen to warm cycle, no airflow, miscellaneous spores present, energy food (honey),....mold shouldn't have any problem growing in that environment...and there are no bees in there are no house bees to keep things cleaned up.

I had a deep freeze that went out a few years ago with lots of food inside. Was probably a couple of months before it was detected. I'll spare the weak stomached ones and forego a description of what I found inside.

Ed

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Okay, makes sense.

I guess the question should have been, why put frames in the freezer for more than a few days?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd leave the honey frames out FAR AWAY from your hives...as far as possible...and let the bees empty it out and take it back to the hive. Then use the mild bleach to clean green growth and slime. Be sure to rinse the comb well.

I had a deep freeze that went out a few years ago with lots of food inside. Was probably a couple of months before it was detected. I'll spare the weak stomached ones and forego a description of what I found inside. Ed
Same thing happened to me. Power surge blew the switch to the freezer....$600 dollars worth of meat sat for 2 weeks in a hot garage. Totally totally gross!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts