Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The comedian Steve Moye who posted free plans for making a WBC hive needs a good talking to. I have just wasted a day and now have an all chestnut verroa floor to chuck in the dumster. The height of the floor side at the front should be 1 1/4" no 1 3/4" so the angle of the alighting board is too shallow.. i assembled the whole thing, glued up nicely and fitted the lift, which completely blocks the bees from getting in. Nice one Steve and thanks for wasting my week end.

·
Super Moderator
11,164 Posts
I suspect that the plans referred to are these from the Build-It-Yourself area:
http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/10-frame-wbc-hive-steve-moye/

If indeed the specified dimension is in error, it seems as though you could either build just a replacement bottom board, or perhaps modify the one you already built.

Those plans are dated 1999, and I suspect that considerably more than one person has built from those plans in the intervening 15 years. Could it be that you misinterpreted something?

I know that when I discovered what seemed to be an error/oversight in the Dadant Frames plans PDF also posted in that section, when I queried Barry in a PM, he quickly showed me what I had overlooked.

·
Registered
779 Posts
nguiver-
Are you sure you got the 3/8" height strips done properly? If the gap is inadequate I would increase the 3/8" dimension. Complicated plans though, I would recommend the following Click Link
So the picture below is where you're having the problem?
WBC.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
The comedian Steve Moye who posted free plans for making a WBC hive needs a good talking to. I have just wasted a day and now have an all chestnut verroa floor to chuck in the dumster. The height of the floor side at the front should be 1 1/4" no 1 3/4" so the angle of the alighting board is too shallow.. i assembled the whole thing, glued up nicely and fitted the lift, which completely blocks the bees from getting in. Nice one Steve and thanks for wasting my week end.
Nowhere are there plans for Steve's modifications. The 1-3/4" dimension comes from the true WBC hive plans using 5/8" thick material. Not sure you can lay the blame on anyone else here. A lot of details are left unspecified on Steve's modification. Seems like your own modification can be done to raise the first brood chamber up a bit to open up the entrance this small amount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts