Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone glad to meet you. No I am not a bee keeper and I really don't want to be at this point. But I am a bee keeper by default. It seems that my new apartment is complete with it's own hive of honey bees. I live in the Sarasota, Florida area and would love to see the bees go to a good home. If anyone is or knows someone who can help me with this I would be most appreciative.
Thanks, Stung

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stung, the link below will get you to Suncoast Beekeepers Association in your area. If you contact them, they probably have a list of people who have signed up to capture swarms or do extractions. If you do have a hive, and not a swarm the property owner will likely have to be involved since it may require structural work to get the bees out. Good luck, and good on you for trying to get them relocated rather than poisoned.

Suncoast Beekeepers Association

You could also Google for beekeepers in your area, or bee removal. Search for "bees" and "beekeeping" on Craigslist. There are many listings there in my area, at least.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stung,

Have you contacted your property management co.? While you don't mention where in your apartment your bees are, Removals can involve a significant amount of cutting into walls, ceilings, etc. Most management companies require contractors to carry insurance and licensing minimums, plus they may not bee happy if you have an unapproved vendor do work without them knowing.

Also, consider that you are in an Africanized Honey Bee area, and you're bees may be AHB. We perform removals in Sarasota, but because of AHB, perform very few live removals..If you were in Jacksonville, it might be a different story as we don't think there are many AHB there, yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am a member of Suncoast beekeepers and may be able to help you with your bee problem. I am doing a removal on Clark & 41 this week. Give me a call 720-3619.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a member of Suncoast beekeepers and may be able to help you with your bee problem. I am doing a removal on Clark & 41 this week. Give me a call 720-3619.:)
suncoast, I will call you in the am hopefully we can get together.

Just to clear up something. the bees never did sting me. I just liked the name stung and was surprised when I learned that no one had the name yet.

These bees seem to be very docile. I was at least 10" away when I took these photos below. There must be 5 times as many on the outside of this wall. I worked in the room for 4 hours today going near them many times never getting buzzed once. By the way I am also the maintenance man of the building. So I can help with the opening of the wall. I am repairing the damage to the unit and installing a new bathroom. This will be my apt. when finished.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the outside pic is showing the entrance, it looks like the colony hasn't been established too long, which is good. And it looks like suncoast or America can take care of that removal since you represent management.

But please be prudent, notify neighbors, as 1-2% of the population are very allergic to Ant, wasp and bee stings, and when doing a live removal, the numbers of bees flying in a disturbed state can increase, especially when dealing with AHB. Not that these necessarily are, but one can't tell by casual observation. During live structural removals in Central Florida, I've had stings occur over 150 feet away with some colonies. Other colonies are gentle as can bee. So, I am very careful with the live removals we will attempt, turning down many that others would attempt. But that's just me, I guess.

And for my PSA: Also consider that wild honey bee populatons are considered increasing in Florida, the State Apiarist (Jerry Hayes), and Univ of Fla Apiary Entomologist ( Jamie Ellis ) does not recommend live structural removals, and by the strict interpretation of the state Pest Control Statutes, any structural removal of honey bees is considered pest control. So, if things go south, the cards are pretty much stacked against whomever is a party to such work. In today's litigation happy society, that's something to ponder, if you have assets you value, anyway. End PSA :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts