Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

Back in my younger days, I had never seen a frame of honey with comb that had anything but honey/and/or comb on it. No plastics, no wire, no man made materials on the frame.

The old timers would take a knife, cut the honey in the comb from this frame, going into a rectangle till all was cut free.

Does anyone still do this, besides me ? I am expanding into using the ready to go full plastic frames, have one hive with them already. I'm really curious about this.

My dad raised bees for years and years, and that's all he had. He made his own frames from pine or cyprus wood, and they still were good last time I saw them.

Wish there were some old timers around here that were beekeepers back in his days, but, unfortunatelyl, all are now gone as far as I know.

Best to all of you, thanks for bearing with me, so much to learn, so little time. You all have been great for helping me. This forum makes beekeeping so much better for all of us neebies for sure.

Best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It is still sold as thin surplus at most of the bee suppliers. You cannot use wires or plastic for comb honey production, today or 150 years ago. I highly encourage making a few frames of comb honey on this foundation even for extraction operations. I always had a comb honey frame in my observation hive.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
There's a small but growing population of beekeepers doing what you describe. Top bar hive beekeepers for example. Others are using foundationless Lang frames. I've tried using both this year (just Lang top bars or standard frames with a wood strip glued in as a starter guide) in some nucs. I did use fishing line on some frames to give the comb some more rigidity so those aren't entirely without man made material, but the top bar only combs are.

I'll increase the use of foundationless frames next year in the brood boxes whose frames will not see the inside of an extractor. (Marked the top bar with a big "-F" to remind me.)

I see the benefit of wiring the honey frames but I believe Deknow runs all foundationless frames. Not sure how he is extracting them. Carefully, I would imagine.

Wayne

·
Registered
323 Posts
I extract foundationless ,just go slower and longer. I use a Maxant 1400pl and it works great. Make sure comb is attached on at least 3 sides and better yet on all 4.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts