Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to save some money and just use small foundation starter strips for my frames. It is typical deep brood foundation. Will the bees make the cells smaller towards the bottom and outside of the frames? I'm planning on putting the frames in between two drawn out frames to create straight comb. Is this necessary though?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were to put more than one frame in at a time in, would this reduce the amount of drone cells built on it?

I have some frames that are foundationless already, and I haven't paid attention to the drone comb. I'll take a look next time I check on my bees.

Thanks

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I have decided to save some money and just use small foundation starter strips for my frames.

That will work. Wood will last longer than the wax, though. But it will work fine.\

> It is typical deep brood foundation. Will the bees make the cells smaller towards the bottom and outside of the frames?

They will build about the third row down on to the bottom smaller. Probably in the range of 5.2mm but sometimes smaller on the first try.

> I'm planning on putting the frames in between two drawn out frames to create straight comb. Is this necessary though?

If you put it between two drawn out brood combs you don't even need the starter strips. It will make the best of straight combs. If you put it between drawn uncapped honey, they will fatten the combs on each side and not draw the comb on your frame at all. If you put it between capped honey they will draw it straight down the middle of the capped honey.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>If I were to put more than one frame in at a time in, would this reduce the amount of drone cells built on it?

It will make no difference as far as drones. They will build drones until they reach their threshold of drone comb, then they will build workers. It depends on the need for drones at the moment and the need for drone comb at the moment. Just move the drone comb to the outside walls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts