Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps this is my first year into Beekeeping (pretty excited) and I just took the frames from the Nuc Box into my hive (got it from a local beekeeper) last night (pretty nerve wracking lol) first time ive messed with bees but I noticed that when i moved the frames over, two of them were stuck together...it looked like comb was what was keeping it together it was connected from frame to frame...im guessing I would need to seperate them so I can inspect them in the future? Just wondering if I should use a tool of some sort to tear it apart or just use hands? I dont know how fragile or careful i should...dont want to get the bees mad lol but did it in the dark so im hoping to take a look at it once i give the Nuc box back to the beekeeper. Thanks ive already learned alot on this forum just thought I ask a newbie question

·
Registered
598 Posts
just separate them out, it won't cause a problem, its just the bees going off script! Anything you break they will rebuild, but you need to be able to look at both sides of any frames

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Roger that Ill see what I can do! Thanks
You could also do nothing & mark them for later separation?.,especially if they are badly crossed, but maybe they are just stuck together by a couple of small wax connections? I assume this will be your bottom brood box, so I would not be separating/cutting out parts of the wax, especially if it had brood, or is going to rain honey;)

Reactions: SGBF2021

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
...it looked like comb was what was keeping it together it was connected from frame to frame...im guessing I would need to seperate them so I can inspect them in the future?
That's one of the points of laws requiring moveable-frame hives.

Use your hive tool to pry them apart, and scrape the wax off that was binding the two frames together.

Reactions: SGBF2021

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got them loose thanks Im pretty excited/nervous about the whole thing....im going to leave them be for a week or two, let them get used to the new location...been raining here so hopefully thatll stop and starts sunshining!

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can pull the two frames out as a unit it is much easier to operate on the Siamese twins on a spare top or bottom board. Easier to recover any looose pieces that way rather than trying to recover them out of a mess of bees in the bottom of the colony.
Thats a good idea will do next time i run across that

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
To separate 2 combs which are stuck together - firstly check whether this is due to small adhesions between the combs (which usually occur towards the top) or whether this is due to cross-combing (if you're foundationless). If it's simply due to adhesions, then take a leaf from the Top-Bar beekeeper's book, and slowly and gently insert a bread knife or something similar between the two combs. Use this to cut through the adhesions, thus releasing the combs from each other. By always moving the blade slowly and gently bees will have time to get out of the blade's way, and there will be far less chance of killing any of them.
LJ

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To separate 2 combs which are stuck together - firstly check whether this is due to small adhesions between the combs (which usually occur towards the top) or whether this is due to cross-combing (if you're foundationless). If it's simply due to adhesions, then take a leaf from the Top-Bar beekeeper's book, and slowly and gently insert a bread knife or something similar between the two combs. Use this to cut through the adhesions, thus releasing the combs from each other. By always moving the blade slowly and gently bees will have time to get out of the blade's way, and there will be far less chance of killing any of them.
LJ
10 4 ya it occured at the top of the frame (it has foundations) but what is the leaf for? Im pretty ignorant about that sorry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts