Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I recall reading or hearing somewhere that bees will not be able/willing-whatever to use older hard packed pollen from the previous year. Is my memory correct about this? If so, what is the most common way to deal with frames of older, hard packed pollen from deadouts?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I think that I recall reading or hearing somewhere that bees will not be able/willing-whatever to use older hard packed pollen from the previous year. Is my memory correct about this? If so, what is the most common way to deal with frames of older, hard packed pollen from deadouts?
Raincrow:

It looks like we are neighbors as I live about 10 miles south of Paducah.

I think you are right that bees will not utilize older pollen for consumption, particularly if it has not been made into beebread.

That said, I have found if you move mainly empty drawn comb with old pollen in it to the top of a colony, they will judiciously set to work removing the pollen and generally cleaning house in preparation to utilize the space for overhead stores.

In fact, I have found that colonies which have adequate room will often abandon the bottom box, leaving it with scattered pollen cells and my remedy is to move it to the top and utilize it as a super.

I've attached a photo from this week from one of my colonies doing just this- removing pollen and filling the cells with nectar.

1907.jpg

Best of success to you this year.

Russ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts