Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I left a super on top of my 2 deeps in each colony as a surplus fleecing. The supers had 10 frames filled with about 50% capped honey. I am now ready to start placing the supers on the hives this year and I noticed several frames still have areas of about 3" by 4" of capped honey from last year. Is it ok to to use these frames and will the bees take this honey and store it elsewhere in my hives? i am concerned this old honey in the supers may in some way contaminate the new honey that will be brought into the supers this summer.I also had several moldy frames and I cleaned them and I am not concerned about them as I believe the bees will clean them. Since many of my colonies did not survive the severe winter, I have about 8 frames that had numerous dead bees stuck in the foundations. I scrapped them out but I do not like the odor so i am wondering if I should dispose of these frames or if there is a way to clean them and eliminate the odor of dead bees. I would appreciate some advice on the re-use of the frames with some honey.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts