Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some frames slimed last year. I had some whole hives leave because of SHB and slime. I just threw away the frames that were slimed. Lazy I know. I think I got rid of all the frames that were slimed. I just went through all my supers and I got 2 supers that I wonder if they were part of the slimed ones or not. I know you are supposed to clean frames with bleach water but these got pretty drawn out comb. I can't for the life of me decide if these were slimed or not but there had to be a reason they were empty and the weren't extracted. Is there any way to tell for sure if they were slimed?
I know bees don't like to build on frames that have ever been slimed, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If they have "pretty drawn comb" then they were not slimed. As long as the wax moths don't destroy the frames and the comb is fairly clean I would put them in. If you can't tell they were slimed,I doubt the bees will have any issues with them.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I dont see why you couldnt just stick them in there and go with it. I think they will clean them up and use them fine
You can and they will, but my experience has been that previously slimed combs are much much more likely to be reinfested no matter what you do - up to and including bleach soaking. Does make them look nice and white though. I don't know why, but I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

If you are scrounging for every frame of comb then go for it - I have - but if you aren't then I scrape the comb off of plastic foundation then give that a soak in plain water and let them rebuild from there. With wax foundation or foundationless I scrape it all out and reuse the frames as foundationless for swarm management and IPM.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
A somewhat related issue - when you dispose of comb for any reason a Solar Wax Melter keeps it from being such a waste. It's basically just a box with a piece of recycled glass on top sitting in the sun.

I toss all of my not-so-clean wax in there and just leave it until there is enough rendered out to mess with. Then at honey time I do a clean run with cappings. But a SWM is something that every beekeeper should think about building.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts