Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you run, say, 11 frames in the brood boxes and 9 in the honey supers without too much trouble? If you want to run 11, do you have to cut a bunch of frames down, or could you, say, shave a bit off 1 - 3 frames in the middle, and just squish the others as close as they can go? Does anyone do this?

Naomi

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
To get 11 frames in you need to gain about an inch or slightly more. If you want the frames to all be the same (which is the most convenient in the long run) then shave them down to 1 1/4" (take 1/16" off each side). You can easily space them out to 9 frame sin the supers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also -- what are you thoughts on just packing those middle 6 - 8 frames as tight as they'll go without cutting them town (to encourage smaller brood comb), and giving more space to the outside ones (where they'll presumably be putting honey)?

Naomi

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can't bring them closer, physically impossible. I make my own frames which would allow 1.25" spacing without messing up the bee space on the top bars.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
When I was neck deep in the small cell fantasy, I ran all my frames thru a table saw set at 1 1/4". I made an index mark and always face them the same way. Small cell did nothing to slow down the varroa but I did indeed like the results of a dense brood nest where more cells were located in a smaller area and buildup was faster.

As far as supers, I like running eight frames in my ten frame boxes. Makes extracting faster as I almost never have to use a capping scratcher. You better be set up to handle a lot of cappings!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
When I was neck deep in the small cell fantasy, I ran all my frames thru a table saw set at 1 1/4". I made an index mark and always face them the same way. Small cell did nothing to slow down the varroa but I did indeed like the results of a dense brood nest where more cells were located in a smaller area and buildup was faster.

As far as supers, I like running eight frames in my ten frame boxes. Makes extracting faster as I almost never have to use a capping scratcher. You better be set up to handle a lot of cappings!
Vance, do you hand space those 8 frames in the super or do you use a spacer for that. I'd love to skip the scratcher!

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
A calibrated thumb or finger and eyeball. I suppose a spacer board with teeth would work but I would put it with 8 out of ten of my last hive tools. I absolutely detest the guides people nail on the frame rest. How do you clean the frame rest!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
A calibrated thumb or finger and eyeball. I suppose a spacer board with teeth would work but I would put it with 8 out of ten of my last hive tools. I absolutely detest the guides people nail on the frame rest. How do you clean the frame rest!
I was hoping you'd say that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts