Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I used the same tool for the first time this year, and it's great. Not only does it make uncapping much easier, and make your comb go farther - I'm pretty sure you actually get more honey per super. I even used it for supers started with foundation - once all of the frames had comb started on them I pulled one and spaced them out. It worked great.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Michael, with the fatter, heavier combs that come from having 7-frames in a super is there added precautions that need to be taken during extraction? Is it simply a case of starting the extractor *really* slow and easy with these extra-fat frames? The centerline of the comb attachment should still be centered on the middle of the top and bottom bars though with the honey cells extended it will create more centrifugal force. I would imagine the bees will attach the comb more strongly to the frames in relation to the heavier load, being the engineers that they are?

I really like spreading the honey frames out in my 8-frame boxes to take up the "extra space" and they extract fine...3 years now with unwired foundation and foundationless frames and no blow-outs (thank You, Lord). I extract at my mentor's honey house and a typical comment from him is "this is a good honey frame right here..."...he runs 10-frame hives. :) I'm thinking of going with seven frames next year, though. Thus my curiosity as to whether extra precations are needed with the fatter, heavier comb during extraction.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed,

When I uncapped I cut the combs flush with the end bar so a lot of the extra honey came off with the cappings. I think the frames were still heavier sine the comb now extened out to the widest part of the frame.

Tom

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Michael, with the fatter, heavier combs that come from having 7-frames in a super is there added precautions that need to be taken during extraction? Is it simply a case of starting the extractor *really* slow and easy with these extra-fat frames?

Like TWall said, it makes them easier to uncap because you uncap to the same level... down to the top and bottom bar usually, so they weigh the same, they just uncap easier and the extra honey ends up in the uncapping tank.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Or you can just use a cappings "scratcher" and end up with almost no honey in your uncpaping tank, and very little wax cappings as well. I pretty much just scratch everything now as its much faster and neater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts