Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am a newbee in NW PA who is in the process of building my hives from scratch. I want to use frame rests on not only my hives but supers for durability. Rather than build(bend) them myself I purchaced them from W. Kelly.They are not simple "L's" byt a configuration that raises the frame up slightly.
Now here is the question. The rabit on the end of the boxes allowes for some clearance between the top of the frames and the top of the box without the metal frame supports. When I set the metal frame rests in place that clearence goes away. Should I have a deeper rabbit if I intend to use the frame rests to maintain that space??
Thanks everone for your help!!:)

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Yes, with that style of frame rest, the rabbet needs to be cut a bit deeper, I think it's 1/8" but I'm not sure, to keep the proper bee space clearances needed when stacking boxes together to make the hive.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I use those style of frame rests, too. I use covers of my own design, which provide a 3/8" bee space between the cover and the frames, so I prefer the frames sit flush/even with the top edges of the supers. My bee space is entirely between the frame bottoms and the bottom of the supers. Others prefer their bee space on top of each super, and traditionally it is half above the frames and half below the frames.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you use them on all your supers you shouldn't have to rabbit and deeper. I don't think. example. If you bottom deep has them and your top deep has them all the frames in the enitre hive will be lifted the same amount and bee space should be fine. Just my 2 cents I've never messed with frame rest so I may be missing something here.

-Dan

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
That's a good observation, might only need to adjust the inner cover. That way if you mix some commercially made boxes into you're hives it should still work. As long as they have the frame rests.
If it where me I'd buy 1 store bought box from the company you're most likely to purchase from in the future. That way you're stuff would be uniform with theirs.

If you use them on all your supers you shouldn't have to rabbit and deeper. I don't think. example. If you bottom deep has them and your top deep has them all the frames in the enitre hive will be lifted the same amount and bee space should be fine. Just my 2 cents I've never messed with frame rest so I may be missing something here.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you want to cut the rabbet down for the frame rest, it is much easier to do it before you put the super together. I found out the hard way. Also, wherever you make the bee space, just be consistent with all supers. Remember that others often do it differently like Joe Clemons said, so, if you buy other's supers they may not fit yours. Correct, consistent bee space is very important.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm also in the process of prepairing for next spring with building all my own equipment. To be honest I don't see the point of a metal frame rest as IMHO I don't see how the box will be less durable without it, It's another place for intruders to hide and one less thing to worry about or buy when building them. For me this falls in the catagory or "keep it simple smart guy"
Time will tell if I made the right choice I guess....bouks

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
We re cut the rabbet the deeper by the height of the frame test. I believe it came out to 1/4 inch for "old style" frame rests from Dadant(look like the letter P from the end). We feel that the frames are easier to move once they get propolized, and are easier to clean, with the right tool, that the one that look like the letter L.

Roland

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rolland and All !!!!,
I plan to use the frame supports that are shaped like a "T" that raise the frames up 1/8". To accomidate them I have cut the rabits to 3/4(6/8) 1/8" deeper than normal. I think this will work.
Thanks everone for their excellent advice!!

Craig:):):)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts