Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to order some unassembled frames from Walter T Kelley. I've never put any together before and I see they have a "Frame Nailing Device" which appears to be a jig for holding the components while you nail them. How helpful would this be?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm getting ready to order some unassembled frames from Walter T Kelley. I've never put any together before and I see they have a "Frame Nailing Device" which appears to be a jig for holding the components while you nail them. How helpful would this be?
A jig is very helpful, in general. Some folks build their own. I personally went with the Brushy Mountain one and have been really happy with it. A jig of some sort is definitely worth while.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've found it to be very useful. Speeds up the process and the frames are nice and square. It only takes a handful of minutes to put together 10 frames, and I've used it for both deeps and medium frames. If you do get it, be sure to place medium frames in so that they can be removed once assembled. Er, a friend of mine told me about that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
635 Posts
i make all my frame compponents and assembled the first 100 or so one at a time. I decided I'd never do THAT again and made an assembly jig. they are certainly worth having. you'd be wel lserved to buy or make one!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
the jig in the link above makes things quicker. Definitely glue with titebond 2 or 3, I just shot a single nail 1.5" staple from the top and bottom on both side bars, nothing from the side. The glue supplies all of the strength. Never had a problem, strong as can be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After you get it assembled, sand it smooth and apply a good coat of wax (bee's wax of course). This will make cleaning the glue off a lot easier.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I have made several hundred frames over the past two ears. I did not use any sort of jig. just held them together as i nailed them. This year I needed to make almost 1000 frames. SO I made one of the jigs that holds 10 frames at one time. Glad I did. I was able to get 170 frames made yesterday alone and that was in the time I was not at the hardware store helping my wife pick out the stuff to remodel a bathroom. For jstu a box or two of frames. I would just wing it. for a lot of frames I find the jig well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I made one very similar to the one in Knisely's link except the removable pieces are 1/2" dowel rods wrapped in that cheap foam pipe insulation. Because it's flexible, it will hold end bars tight even if they have slightly different thicknesses which can vary between vendors.

·
Registered
435 Posts
A jig is very usefull i have four that i made . However if you going to make just a few frames. In my opion it probably will not be worth the cost to buy one. Make it yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts