Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my frame feeder in my top deep when I closed up for Winter. I am hoping to get a strong start so I can split my hive in Spring. Here in central New Jersey we haven't had a blast of really cold weather in weeks. Day temps are in the upper 30's to mid 40's. Other than a predicted night in the teens next week nighttime temps are at freezing.

When can I fill my frame feeder with 1:1 to get the best, early start for this year?

Alan

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Liquid (syrup) feeding doesn't work well until the the daily minimum temps (both night and day) are close to 50F. If the syrup cools off to below 50F they won't take it, and indeed, the energy cost of warming it to their survivable body temp is higher than the caloric gain.

Feed solid sugars until the temps warm up: bricks, winter patty, fondant, or mountain camp-style loose granulated sugar. Consider adding in some pollen patty, as well, around the middle of March.

Nancy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nancy! That makes sense. I didn't think about the energy the bees would use warming it. I am feeding bricks now, and I was going to put on pollen patty in a week or two.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
If the syrup cools off to below 50F they won't take it, and indeed, the energy cost of warming it to their survivable body temp is higher than the caloric gain
please explain ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts