Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made 5 frame deep nucs for the first time. They filled the 5 deep frames and I'm concerned that they maybe getting crowded, so I decided to add a medium supper on top of the nuc. I want them to build up enough stores for the winter so I installed a frame feeder in with the 3 medium frames on the super so they could draw it out and fill it. The question I have is when they finish drawing out the 3 medium frames and filled it, should I remove the feeder and replace it with 2 more empty frames? Or should I leave the feeder in there empty to refill in spring?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hello:

Did you make this medium super for the 5 frame nuc ? I've been thinking of the same thing, see nothing for a 5 frame nuc for sale. Thinking about just buying another deep nuc body and use it for a super.

Let me know what you think.

Best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I made a medium nuc (super) from plywood using the simple plans posted here on Beesource. This should allow the nuc to winter with more stores. But I have to ask, Is this still a nuc?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You should just cut a 2 7/8" hole on top and staple 1/8" mesh wire (#8 mesh wire) on the underside of the hole. Then use a jar feeder and keep 5 frames in your nuc. You can do this on the top lid or you can make it on a self made inner cover board and place an empty over top, then the lid! Just have to make sure there is atleast a 3/8" bee space between the top of the frames and the inner cover board. Just an idea, i build all my equipment. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would remove the frame feeder and replace with frames. There is a good chance they will draw the frames and fill with honey from our fall flow (asters, chamisa, etc.).

I would rather have the drawn frames (or partly drawn) than the convenience of a feeder already installed. Also, if they run out of room, they may make a mess of the feeder...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts