Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 hives, both with frame feeders in them (brand new hives, no previous drawn comb). Obviously the frame feeder takes up the space of about 2 frames ... my question is, what do I do when the bees have fully drawn out the other frames? I'm assuming i'll need to replace with 2 empty frames so they can fill out the brood box, right? At that point do I need to switch to a different feeding method?

Or perhaps is the idea they might have enough of their own capped stores by that point that I won't need to feed any longer? (the hives are new packages).

Registered
You could either add another box on top with empty frames and let them draw it out or remove it if you want to stay with a single box. I would suggest putting the two frames in between the drawn ones to get them drawn faster.

Registered
Personally I dont like frame feeders. They drown to many bee's. I dont like opening the hive to feed. They hold to little. Most people that use them just leave them in. The brood nest seldom reaches the 2 outside frames. They do need to be in your top box so you will need to move them up. I would move them to the burn barrel and buy or build miller style feeders or use jar or buckets

1 - 3 of 3 Posts