Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Frame feeder question

1212 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  danno
I have 2 hives, both with frame feeders in them (brand new hives, no previous drawn comb). Obviously the frame feeder takes up the space of about 2 frames ... my question is, what do I do when the bees have fully drawn out the other frames? I'm assuming i'll need to replace with 2 empty frames so they can fill out the brood box, right? At that point do I need to switch to a different feeding method?

Or perhaps is the idea they might have enough of their own capped stores by that point that I won't need to feed any longer? (the hives are new packages).
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
You could either add another box on top with empty frames and let them draw it out or remove it if you want to stay with a single box. I would suggest putting the two frames in between the drawn ones to get them drawn faster.

· Registered
637 Posts
Personally I dont like frame feeders. They drown to many bee's. I dont like opening the hive to feed. They hold to little. Most people that use them just leave them in. The brood nest seldom reaches the 2 outside frames. They do need to be in your top box so you will need to move them up. I would move them to the burn barrel and buy or build miller style feeders or use jar or buckets

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.