Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find the answer so I need your help here. I have a few hives that are 2 deeps for the brood nest and some hives that are 3 mediums for the brood nest. I am trying to start to help them set up for Winter (way early). Does anyone have a link to an illustration or diagram that shows how the set up of both hives(2 deeps and 3 mediums) would be "ideally" arranged in regards to how many and where the frames of brood, pollen and honey? BTW- I have 10 frames in each of the Langstroth boxes. Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Just leave them alone and they'll set themselves up. I find most hives are packing the bottom with pollen and the top and sides with honey this time of year. They don't need us to mess it up for them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
zhiv9, My hives are doing the same thing, packing the bottom with pollen. The queen has actually moved up into the supers and is laying in the middle 4 frames all the way up. My question. have you had this happen in years past, and will she eventually move back down. I put a queen excluder on to keep her out of the top super. I don't want to have to manipulate going into winter. Should I just leave them alone or should I keep moving her back down into the bottom deeps?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I find it pretty common for the queen to move up to make room for a good pollen store below. I do think this can vary genetically. It also moves the brood further from the entrance as the nights get cooler. She will also move up in a dearth to where the stores are. One reason, I started using excluders was because she will move into the supers if you let her. For other people the solution is to go to a larger brood/storage area like 4 or 5 mediums or 3 deeps. I can't see her moving back down, but they will contract the brood area into the fall.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Our bees come home from the mid-summer yard tonite. I'll be making a change to the configurations this weekend. These will all be double deeps for the winter. Honey supers will come off, then the frame in slot 10 of the top box comes out, replaced with a frame feeder. Wherever the green drone frame has ended up over the summer, it gets moved into slot 3 of the top box. For the rest, I wont touch them.

I put the feeder in the top, so I can fill it up without splitting the boxes. They may or may not need the feed this fall, but I want it in there even if they dont, so it's available in the spring without my having to take things apart. Last winter, most of my colonies had the drone frame in the bottom box, and I couldn't do queens at all early, due to very few drones. One of the colonies had the drone frame in the top box, which was plugged with honey in the fall, it seems much heavier with honey than a normal frame. Come spring, that colony was making drones almost a month before the others. I want drones earlier next summer, so we can mate queens earlier.

The other thing I've changed this year, over years gone past. I'm going to make sure they are plugged up with stores by mid September. In years gone past, I've always supplemented with dry sugar on top of the inner cover thru the winter, 'just in case'. This last winter, I had 3 colonies that seemed to be taking a LOT. When I did the spring cleaning, what I found was, big piles of sugar under the screened bottom board, all crystalized together in one big lump, made it virtually impossible to get the slider out. I found this on all the colonies that had screened bottoms. I guess all that sugar disappearing from the top of the inner cover, wasn't actually getting consumed, it was getting carried out and thrown away. So, not going to do that anymore. They get fed up to 'full' in the fall, then I wont look again till March. It just seems a waste putting dry sugar on, only to have them carry it off and throw it away, may as well feed it in syrup form earlier, and get them to store it capped in the combs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts