Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to a good start. Three in bait hives and one hanging on a tree limb. All bait hives are older 8 frame deeps with one frame of old brood comb dead center and the rest of the space filled out with foundationless frames with started strips.

I think I'm finally going to beat Ollie this year!:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Off to a good start. Three in bait hives and one hanging on a tree limb. All bait hives are older 8 frame deeps with one frame of old brood comb dead center and the rest of the space filled out with foundationless frames with started strips.

I think I'm finally going to beat Ollie this year!:D
I am in the east bay and got one so far about 5 lb Italian swarm in my trap.... I reloaded all 9 of my traps today so hoping for a few more.....

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I am still waiting to see a swarm:( catching and housing one would be a thrill for me.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just leave my traps on the hives stands at my various yards and make the rounds every two weeks. It's nice to roll up and finally see the traps with bees going in and out like they'd been there forever. I just transfer the frames to a regular hive box, put in a frame of honey and let them do their thing.

I then reload with another old brood frame and place it back on the hive stand. One in San Mateo, one in Watsonville and two in SF so far. All good medium to large swarms. It's mostly luck but the more traps you have at different locations, the luckier you get!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only if it worked like that, it would be great. No, I have no idea where these swarms come from other than nearby bee yards belonging to someone else or ferals. One swarm is black and the others look like carnies.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
No one has ever mentioned this before and I haven't read it anywhere but would are own bee yards be a good attraction for other bee's and a good spot for a swarm trap .

·
Registered
208 Posts
No one has ever mentioned this before and I haven't read it anywhere but would are own bee yards be a good attraction for other bee's and a good spot for a swarm trap .
I have one of my 9 traps in my yard... I thought it might help mine if they swarmed.... This is first year so far they haven't....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Only if it worked like that, it would be great. No, I have no idea where these swarms come from other than nearby bee yards belonging to someone else or ferals. One swarm is black and the others look like carnies.
Are they all black or mostly black? I bought a new hive of German bees this year and they have a lot of black but not all black... If they are black I would love to see a pic...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I caught 17 swarms my first year all on hive stand next to my regular hives in different bee yards. In my limited experience, it seems to me that bees attract bees. I tried putting my traps up in trees and on upper decks with no luck. If you do catch a swarm, hive them in a different box and put the exact same trap back in the exact same place. It's like a good fishing hole, they'll strike again.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are they all black or mostly black? I bought a new hive of German bees this year and they have a lot of black but not all black... If they are black I would love to see a pic...
They're mostly black, not all black. Maybe Germans, who knows. They're darker than my Carnie's that's for sure! I'll post a pic when I get back down to them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Shazzzam dat's great:}

Me I got 6 out and aint got nottin yetz:{

[/url] forum image hosting[/IMG]
Hey snookie I think we were building and placing traps about the same time.... I have had one hit so far out of my 9.... Question did you you foundationless frames or no in yours? I used 3 foundation frames in each of mine because I didn't have any old brood...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey Calsbear 94

I have five regular frames in each some medium some deep frames...however I been thinking of cutting 19" top bars to put in a couple of them to have the scouts think there's more room..

I got one TB Swarm trap and it ain't hittin on squat either. Lol

You think 3 frames only is better?

[/url] image url[/IMG]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey Calsbear 94

I have five regular frames in each some medium some deep frames...however I been thinking of cutting 19" top bars to put in a couple of them to have the scouts think there's more room..

I got one TB Swarm trap and it ain't hittin on squat either. Lol

You think 3 frames only is better?

[/url] image url[/IMG]
Lol no idea what is better so checking to see what you have set-up.... The one I got the hit on had 3 frames with foundation and they had drawn out 2 but started a 3rd row from the top of the trap instead of 3rd frame.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts