Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have four new packages installed last week. I checked the queens Monday and all were out. They have done well for a few days until this weeks cold weather. I have seen little to no movement from them this whole week. I do have feeders in them and have peeked in the top over the last week a few times. They look as though they are doing OK. Forecast is down to 36 tonight. Shows we are supposed to warm up starting tomorrow. Do I need to help them in any other way or just watch?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I have four new packages installed last week. I checked the queens Monday and all were out. They have done well for a few days until this weeks cold weather. I have seen little to no movement from them this whole week. I do have feeders in them and have peeked in the top over the last week a few times. They look as though they are doing OK. Forecast is down to 36 tonight. Shows we are supposed to warm up starting tomorrow. Do I need to help them in any other way or just watch?
Expect winter type activity when it's winter temps. :)

They should be fine, I have a weak hive that should have been seeing a queen off for mating flights this week. That didn't happen. I finally stopped raining which it's been doing on/off for three days and it hasn't been more than about 52 all week. Maybe some sun tomorrow. Would be nice.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
JW, I wrapped them in blankets and hoping for warm weather. Man our weather is messed up!
It's nothing they haven't seen before, but they certainly aren't usually rearing brood when it's like this. I don't know what to expect as far as if the brood will have been chilled? Just kind of going with the flow at this point. Nothing I can really do about it.

This has been crazy weather.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two hives that I installed April 5th. They were booming going into this cold. I do see a little movement from them but not active.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I have two hives that I installed April 5th. They were booming going into this cold. I do see a little movement from them but not active.
I installed one the same day. Was queenless until April 16th and they'd drawn no comb. Replacement queen installed, they started drawing, she was laying in a couple days. Went drone layer very quickly... superceded. Virgin should have been making mating flights this week. No way that happened. They are probably screwed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts