Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed some people running their frames w/o foundations. I'm about to order some frames and wondering if it's necessairy.

Since they're more expensive than the frames, I'm wondering if they're nessessairy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
The only thing necessary in the United States is removable frames (or top bars) to inspect for disease. Foundation was developed about 150 years ago so bees would not build comb across frames. When they build burr comb across frames you need to cut them apart until they do it YOUR way. The trendy thing now is to use the old foundationless frames to get back to nature. Like paisley shirts and maxi-skirts this too shall pass!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
If you give them a guide on the top bar, they won't cross comb in most cases, no more than they do with foundation. You'll see a fair number of hives that will cross comb no matter what you do, foundation or not.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
You need some kind of guide. Turn the wedge sideways. Glue popscicle sticks in the groove. Something. If you have some kind of guide they will make good comb as often as they do with foundation. Which is usually...
:)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Kelley's makes foundationless frames where the top bar is cut with the guide already in place... don't have to remove and turn wedge and nail it in... nor insert popsicle sticks... just assemble the frames. Wish they had them last fall when I bought 1,000 frames and turned the wedges... :doh:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Yes, the foundationless from Walter T. Kelley is probably the simplest method. Turning the wedge is probably next, if you have wedge type frames, and popscicle sticks are the best solution for grooved top bars. All of them work fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts