Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used wireless deep foundations because of a order mistake. one has collapsed in a new box. has anyone had experience of using deeps w/o wire? this is a repeat thread. only reply was "not a good idea". Yes! bad idea. but will they hold up?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Depends on what you are doing. If you are like many TBH and just let the hive bee then it should be ok. If you plan to be doing any type of manipulation with the hive then you take the risk of the comb coming off the frames. This is why foundation and wires were introduced in the first place, to allow manipulation without having to worry about destroying the comb. (well, one of the reasons)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well 11X seeing that you have been keeping bees for a few days over a year that may be true for you, but physics will show that something that has an internal structure is much, much stronger then something without. ie - steel in a building. I handle thousands of hives and have helped lots of people in the area with their TBH's so I have done both also. If I handled the frames of a TBH the way I handle my frames I wouldn't have any bees. Glad you enjoy your TBH but physics is physics...weight (comb full of honey) with no support is weaker then weight with support (frame of comb with foundation full of honey).

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Yes, they'll hold up but won't take as much stress as wired foundation / comb. Level hives help and you need to be careful when "fixing" any weird and wonky comb that the bees sometimes decide to build, especially when you replace frames and leave too much space or make a hole in one with your hive tool.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you plan to be doing any type of manipulation with the hive then you take the risk of the comb coming off the frames.
i agree thay are more fragile, quite a bit more fragile if you are not good at it,but you can manapulate them quite easily. i have had bees my self for over a year yes. but in this year i have helped with and inspected hundreds of hives and i do mean hundreds. i have 1 friend that runs 300 plus that i help regulary. i find it easier to manapulate the tbh due to the fact that i dont have a few honey supers and a few brood supers to mess with. my point was simply that some people find a tbh is easier to work "manapulate" than a lang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts