Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a short story long I ended up with 11 swarm calls this year. I was only set up for about 5 or so hives w/plasticel foundation. 8frame med. Once I realized the calls were going to keep coming I frantically made up another 20 hive bodies and made the decision to try foundation less with the remainder since I had a case of unassembled frames laying around. Things went fairly well so far, after a month only one super went haywire with x comb and I mishandled one and the full section of comb fell out. As expected there is copious amounts of drone brood throughout along with a satisfactory amount of worker brood, my question is when they are done producing drones will they rearrange/resize the drone comb and lay workers in those cells or backfill with stores? Aside from the obvious "mite factory" effect of so many drones being produced is there anything I should be doing? Cull the drones? I am worried that they may start to backfill the drone cells and plug out the brood nest. I did some searching before comiting to foundationless and realize that most introduce foundationless gradually, unfortunately I fell into a fortunate situation and as usual was unprepared. By the way check out how clean my suit is that will give you an idea of how much experience I have... View attachment 10849

·
Registered
214 Posts
My experience is limited to one hive, so take it for what it's worth. I put out a couple of swarm traps, each with one drawn brood frame and the rest empty frames. Due to weather, I haven't been able to get into the second one yet, but I did transfer the first one to a hive. The bees were completely covering the old drawn brood frame, and were drawing nice looking wax on three of the empty frames. This is my first attempt at foundationless, so I'll have to wait and see how it goes.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>when they are done producing drones will they rearrange/resize the drone comb and lay workers in those cells or backfill with stores?

They will not tear it down and rebuild it. They will not rearrange it. They will backfill it with honey.

> Aside from the obvious "mite factory" effect of so many drones being produced is there anything I should be doing?

According to the research they will raise the same number of drones no matter what you do.

>Cull the drones?

I never do.

>I am worried that they may start to backfill the drone cells and plug out the brood nest.

Move the drone to the outside edges so it doesn't break up the brood nest.

>I did some searching before comiting to foundationless and realize that most introduce foundationless gradually, unfortunately I fell into a fortunate situation and as usual was unprepared.

I've started many a hive in all foundationless...

>By the way check out how clean my suit is that will give you an idea of how much experience I have...

I had a suit like that once...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michael answered your questions great. If you want more info on foundationless watch my video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SPvuWvVkc
Great information everyone, thanks. I feel a little better about being my usual unprepared self. Now that I am down to working half days 5:30am to 5:30pm I will have enough time to do some manipulations and try to get things straightened out!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Foundationless is awesome. I pulled two deep frames out of one of my hives for reasons I won't go into. I replaced the two frames, which were right next to each other, with a foundationless frame, and a frame of foundation. 5 days later, the frame of foundation was 1/2 to 3/4 drawn out on one side. The foundationless frame was 90% drawn out.

I'm sold on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts