Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a package of regressed bees recently. I have Langstroth, All Medium, top Bars, and started this hive in a Langstroth box with frames that had a triangle tacked to the top. They seem to have started out okay, but started building comb all over the queen box, and things are getting a little wonky. I pulled out the bad comb (which sucks to do as they just started drawing out comb and the queen has already been laying).

Any hints in installing a new package with foundationless? I am used to top bars, but this seems different. Usually I put in undrawn top bars between those drawn out and get good comb placement.

Rob.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
start out with foundation and frames in the brood box. after it is drawn phase in foundationless if you wish, by using the drawn foundation every other frame. this will save you a lot of aggravation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Keep them tight.

I jammed 9 frames in my 8 frame box (Lang) with a swarm I caught. They started in a corner. I feel if I wouldn't have done that and just put them tight and in the middle, they may have started on an edge of a frame vs the guide they are given.

Too much space on the edge where they started.

I've since pulled the 9th frame out but I have still kept them jammed against that wall they started on since they are small and slow going. I will center them once they get either closer to the other side of the box or draw most of that 1st frame out.

Very small sample size, but I know that anything but TIGHT is asking for trouble, and if they start on an edge then that space between the frame and the wall isn't tight even though the rest of the frames are. Since I can't predict where they will start I'm jamming 9th frame in until I get a chance to shave down my frames to have 9 frame boxes.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>They seem to have started out okay, but started building comb all over the queen box

They always do.

> and things are getting a little wonky.

And that is the result.

>I pulled out the bad comb (which sucks to do as they just started drawing out comb and the queen has already been laying).

Exactly.

>Any hints in installing a new package with foundationless? I am used to top bars, but this seems different. Usually I put in undrawn top bars between those drawn out and get good comb placement.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm#donthangqueencage

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you leave the queen cage in too long that's what they do.Direct release works best.Check out Michael Bush's website good info for foundationless beekeepers.the triangle doesn't seem to be very reliable I prefer a 1/4x1/4 inch tongue.Incident of bad comb is rare for me.Queen intro is easier for me.I build my own frames according to what works for me.Not saying to do what I do just sharing what works for me.1/4 tongue 3/4 end bars no bottom bar 2 nails and a dab of tite bond and my problems are virtually non existant.Usually most problems with foundationless is the queen cage, having your hives level and not properly handling the comb.I do hang queen cages from time to time no problem.I do have a preference to install with out drawn comb just empty frames no problems.New frames new comb,don't have to cycle out old combs at odd times.Just the way I like to do things.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize queen box = queen cage... with the talk about Langstroth and "top bars" I thought maybe it was some hybrid contraption I hadn't heard of.

Now rereading it, it makes total sense. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts