Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't find the old threat where people were talking about putting a strip of foundation in a frame as a starter strip. Well I tried 3 methods. Strip of foundation held with drips of melted wax, strip of foundation with three vertical bamboo skiwers, and the tongue depressor/pop sickle stick wooden handles glued in the top groove.

One hive build up 2 medium frames in 1 week (with eggs in each) of beautiful white wax. They used the one with bamboo up rights and used one with a strip of foundation. Pulled the strip of foundation out however and seemed to be pushing it down as they built the comb.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Anything that makes an edge running under the top bar will work fine. I like wood because I don't have to redo it. If a hive goes queenless and the wax moths take over, I just scrape off the frames, put them back in the box and put some bees in it or use it for a super. When I used wax strips I had to take them back home, clean the up and rewax another strip in the groove. The grooves can be a pain to clean out too...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts