Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have, primarily Langstroth style hives. Though recently I've used some Top Bars in some of these hives. What I find curious and a little annoying, is how the bees like to attach the edges of the combs on the Top Bars, to the end walls of the super and the bottoms, too. Yet, it is very uncommon for them to fasten the bottom comb edge to the Bottom Bar of foundationless frames. And they attach the bottoms of Top Bar combs at their bottom edge, to the screen in screened bottom boards, or the wood if it's a solid wooden bottom. Yet wooden Bottom Bars of frames don't count - go figure.

Granted, that many of the combs bottom edges, in frames, are eventually attached, but those of Top Bar combs don't seem to wait to be attached.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I build my own foundationless frames 1 inch top bar with a 1/4 inch tongue 3/4 inch end bars push pin spacers no bottom bar. Easy to pull frames, easy to cut swarm cells out, attachment on end bars all the way down, no attachments on the floor. I've experimented with top bars no end bars and what you are describing is what I experienced also. It was indeed annoying. They do what they have to do to strengthen the comb to their satisfaction is what I have figured.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts