Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was planning on making up some thin foundation for my wood comb boxes, and then I thought, why dont I just put in a leader piece of wax and let them fill it out themselves...Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Commercial comb honey foundation is known as thin surplus. It is the lightest beeswax rolled thin, almost transparent. The bees will be happier on a formed foundation than flat sheet of wax. It is like putting a lawn chair in place of your truck seat. It is cheap, but not so good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what thin surplus is. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience making foundationless comb honey in the boxes...

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I did some last year. Doing more this year. It’s your basic foundationless setup. Make sure you put the frame between two drawn frames. I break a paint stick in half or quarters where the guide is 3/8” or so. They draw out a nice looking frame. And quickly too.

There is a good detailed article in BC (I think) about it, about 1 ½-2 years ago. The lady makes her own frames. Makes them wider to have a nice cut comb width. Which I am going to try some of those this year. I have the article at home. I can scan and email it to you if you want it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I tried several combs last year with popsicle sticks that worked quite well. I will do more
this year.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Was planning on making up some thin foundation for my wood comb boxes, and then I thought, why dont I just put in a leader piece of wax and let them fill it out themselves...Anyone tried this?
The guy that I buy all of my comb honey does just that successfully.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Absolutely the way to go, this is how I make my comb honey. Without the thin foundation there is less wax per bite...this difference makes it more delicate and delicious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts