Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read, I like the idea of trying to go foundationless so I mixed a couple of empty frames in to see what would happen a couple weeks ago.Today I was adding a second deep and switching some frames around, trying to decide what to put where, trying not to squish any bees, not sure about opening up the brood nest, and trying to remember everything I've ever read or been told on the subject. All the while with my husband standing 20 feet away giving me his 'opinion.'

I pulled out a foundationless frame and was admiring it when it broke loose at one bottom corner. I tilted it a bit trying to get the comb back where it belonged but it didn't go all the way back. I was afraid the whole thing would fall out so I just stuck it back in as is. Are they going to fix it or am I going to have a mess next time I go in with those two frames stuck together? Should I have squished it back into place? Why did it fall out? Was I holding it wrong? Is it too soft? Do you have to use special frames? This was a bit of an experiment and they seem to draw out the empty frames faster than the plastic foundation. It was in the 70s today so not hot, but it WAS humid.

This is my first hive and its a six week old package. On a good note, I had 10 frames of bees in there.

·
Registered
887 Posts
they will fix it. When handing foundationless, you have to keep them turned where the comb will never be parallel to the ground until it gets older and well attached.

I have tried wiring, fishing line and just plain empty combs...none of those satisfied me.....this year I started adding two vertical bamboo skewers and I have finally found the perfect frame for foundationless beekeeping!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
From what I've read, I like the idea of trying to go foundationless so I mixed a couple of empty frames in to see what would happen a couple weeks ago.Today I was adding a second deep and switching some frames around, trying to decide what to put where, trying not to squish any bees, not sure about opening up the brood nest, and trying to remember everything I've ever read or been told on the subject. All the while with my husband standing 20 feet away giving me his 'opinion.'

I pulled out a foundationless frame and was admiring it when it broke loose at one bottom corner. I tilted it a bit trying to get the comb back where it belonged but it didn't go all the way back. I was afraid the whole thing would fall out so I just stuck it back in as is. Are they going to fix it or am I going to have a mess next time I go in with those two frames stuck together? Should I have squished it back into place? Why did it fall out? Was I holding it wrong? Is it too soft? Do you have to use special frames? This was a bit of an experiment and they seem to draw out the empty frames faster than the plastic foundation. It was in the 70s today so not hot, but it WAS humid.

This is my first hive and its a six week old package. On a good note, I had 10 frames of bees in there.
If the comb is in place, they should wax it in just fine. If the comb is out of place, it could get some wacky comb started.

With foundationless frames, it's important to keep the frames strait up and down with fresh comb. Once they attach the comb to the sides it's much better. They will eventually attach it to the bottom, but it takes a while. The wax firms up too after time. You need to get used watching that while you hold them in your hands. You need to rotate them instead of flipping over to see the other side, all the while keeping it strait up. I had some issues with that at first too, but it doesn't take too long to remember to be careful with new comb.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it was the way I handled them. They had it all the way to the bottom and I thought it would be more secure than it was. I think I panicked a little bit thinking it was going to fall all the way out. I'm glad to know it will firm up with time. But, yeah, Daniel, I believe I'm going to find some wacky comb next time I go in.

I will do my best to leave them alone for two weeks since I disrupted them so much with my rearranging but it will be difficult. I'm always so afraid afterwards that I managed to kill the queen.

On an interesting note (at least to me) I heard the roaring everyone keeps talking about when I started taking frames out and putting them in the empty box. Once I had about three of them in there, that box got really noisy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts