Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would happen if I put a foundationless frame between 2 frames with fully drawn comb? Would the bees fill the foundationless frame with comb or drawn the drawn comb even thicker?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
they'll do what they want, but are less likely to ignore the foundationlees frames if the combs next to them are filled-honey,nectar, or brood.
good luck,mike

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
What would happen if I put a foundationless frame between 2 frames with fully drawn comb?

It depends. Are you putting the foundationless frame between two drawn combs in the honey supers, or are you placing the foundationless frame between two drawn combs in the broodnest?

If you place a foundationless frame between two drawn combs in the honey super, the bees will just draw the combs fatter and ignore the foundationless frame.

If you place a foundationless frame between two frames of capped honey, the bees will draw out the foundationless frame.

If you place the foundationless frame between two drawn brood combs, the bees will draw out the foundationless frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, these things are good to know. I would like to try some foundationless frames in the supers for cut comb but think I want to try just a few frames. What if I put a foundationless fram between two undrawn plastic frames?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I stumbled upon a site the other day that had devoted much to this idea, it was quite possibly the most interesting bee site i have found so far.

I think the name was bushfarms.com,, or Mike Bush something or other,, just google it maybe?

The foundationless idea was interesting to me,, and the reasons went far beyond having an option for cut comb honey.

You would probably find it worth the time to check it out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am doing that very thing this year and it is working out ok. The bees have drawn out the foundationless frames just fine. Mine are mostly in medium honey supers but a dozen are in the brood boxes. BUT BE AWARE that when you inspecting the frames the you can't flip them bottom to top like you can with a wired foundation. When you forget and bust a frame full of brood and nurse bee :doh: just pick it up and put it back in place in the hive and let the bees fix it. :eek: They seem to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
SiD, you'll see his site gets referenced here quite a bit...and it is full of great info...I wish HE lived closer to ME...lol

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I would like to try some foundationless frames in the supers for cut comb but think I want to try just a few frames.

If I just wanted to try doing a few frames of foundationless for cut comb, I would place the foundationless frames between frames of CAPPED honey.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts