Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there try foundationless beekeeping? Do you use a starter stip of foundation or other type of comb guide?

I would like to try it this year and am looking for advice as to what is the best method or what works for various people.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
After you're done reading Michael's pages, if you still want to read more, do a search on "foundationless" or "starter strips". You'll find a lot of threads with a lot of discussion!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow,

Hey moderator do we need to take some of these foundationless threads and make them a sticky? It seems every other day someone is asking about it.

Good to see the interest.

·
Registered
546 Posts
A couple years ago I read all of this info, and was finally sold by Micheal Bush's articles. I use about a 1/2" - 3/4" piece of surplus wax in wedge style frames and all is well. I'm thinking they draw this out as fast or faster than the PF's (All plastic frames). I did have one hive that just plain refused to follow the rules and built some ugly fat comb, but mostly, it worked great and I still use this technique. I highly recommend this technique!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Budster,

I'm starting out this Spring and have already decided to go foundationless (8-frame mediums). A question: since I don't have any empty comb and will be getting packages, doesn't it make sense to use some PF 120 frames interspersed with the open frames at startup in order to get straight comb? If so, what percentage? One per box, every other frame? I have the PF120's on hand, just am uncertain as to how many are needed to get things off to a good start.

thanks,
Cy Brewster

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
personally, I'd let them draw some of the PF-120's first, then insert the foundationless frames in between them.
fill the box with the plastic frames
once they draw half of them, pull out an undrawn and insert your empty frame in the broodnest
wait 10 days and repeat
this gives them fully drawn comb flanking the empty ones to use for a guide
hopefully you'll also be dealing with the new generation of bees raised on the PF-120 smaller cells
lotta work but if it's only a hobby it's fun:)

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts