Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird question- Alternating partial sections of plastic foundation on deep wood frames in the brood box. These frames have 1/2 foundation in the middle with each side left open. The idea is to relieve congestion and allow the bees to draw comb and cells of whatever size they wish. They chose to build large drone cells which I expected.

Watched drone activity a few feet away and noticed that the drones this year seem larger. These guys are massive. Also removed QE’s so they are free to go where they please (which I love by the way). Could they be larger? Because of being able to create cells of their own choosing?

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Weird question- Alternating partial sections of plastic foundation on deep wood frames in the brood box. These frames have 1/2 foundation in the middle with each side left open. The idea is to relieve congestion and allow the bees to draw comb and cells of whatever size they wish. They chose to build large drone cells which I expected.

Watched drone activity a few feet away and noticed that the drones this year seem larger. These guys are massive. Also removed QE’s so they are free to go where they please (which I love by the way). Could they be larger? Because of being able to create cells of their own choosing?
Unless you previously bought machine made drone foundation, they were already making cells of their own design hither and yon between frames etc.

I think you are just suffering from delusions of grandeur :D

I am using the same partial comb system. There ARE lots of them big bugs! I have been cutting out quite a few of them to pull capped larvae to check for mites. Very scarce. They are starting to build back with worker sized in some cases or drone size and immediately fill with honey if I put them outside frame position.

That system sure does cut down on the building of unwanted drone cells between frames.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Crofter- The partial frames are really fun. Read outstanding posts from Lauri Miller and decided to try it. BTW- these drones are "take over the world" strong. So far their demands are to remove a confederate statue and replace it with a statue of a drone. I think we should do it. I don't usually give in to demands from anarchists but these guys mean business.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
:D I think I have 2 such frames in each deep. I planned some expansion this year and feel that I have to depend on my own drones. I dont much like random drone brood on frames as it makes inspections and rearranging frames more difficult. If you are looking to spot started cells it sure is easier on a comb face uncluttered by drone cells. When they are in designated areas they are much easier to live with.

I pull a few here and there with the capping lifter and that is my mite count program; If drone brood is negative for mites you know the worker brood is home free!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts